onsdag den 27. oktober 2010

THE INVISIBLE INFLUENCE



Matthias Schoenaerts, Michaël R. Roskam, Nicolas Karakatsanis
Photo: M. Vanden Abeele



Recently I had the pleasure of watching a film from Belgium called Rundskop (Bullhead). Apart from really enjoying the film, written and directed by Michaël Roskam, I was lucky enough to work as a script consultant on the project.

One of the things that I liked most about the film from a script perspective is that my influence on the final film is impossible to spot. The film is Michaël’s vision, it is his story – and that is exactly the way it should be.

If I had a motto it would read something like “helping you make your story better”.

My job as a script consultant is to help the writer find out what they want to say and then to make sure that they have all the options and ammunition to tell a story that helps them achieve their goal in the best possible way.

I ask questions rather than give answers. Naturally, I will always come up with suggestions and ideas about how to solve specific problems if that is what the writer wants, but in an ideal world I will use questions to prompt and probe the writer in a way that will get them to find the solutions based on what they want to say with the script. This is the most satisfactory outcome for all concerned and in my opinion it nearly always creates a better end result.

If I put my fingerprints all over the script, then the writer’s vision is being diluted, which defeats the whole objective of film as an art form. I know that I had some influence in the way that the script of Rundskop was formed, Michaël has said as much and the differences in the drafts from when I began on the project to the finished film are clear. However, it is Michaël that has done the hard work creatively, I have just been his guide – an invisible influence.

For a teaser trailer, go to:-

www.rundskop.be

and for more information on the film, visit the production company’s website.

www.savagefilm.be/home/


Happy writing.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Hi Phil,

    I tried to comment, but I have to subscribe or something, but I don't understand danish... here's my reply: you can post it.

    comment:

    Hello dear readers of the blog, fellow colleagues and Phil,

    This is Michaël Roskam reacting. ; )

    I think you said it right, Phil.

    Actually, making a film is teamwork. And especially for a writer/director, i think, the teamwork starts already with the writing. You need the ping pong. It's like a sparring partner, who knows you, who understands you and helps you to achive a goal, which is different from a co-writer.

    In this case Phil first tells me what I'm telling. It helps to objectify your writing, it's a mirror. Then he asks the questions that help you to make decisions!

    That's for me always the hard part.

    If CSI Script comes by, they'll find plenty of your fingerprints. : )


    Cheers,
    Michaël

    SvarSlet
  2. hi michaël

    thanks for the comment, and sorry you had trouble signing in. we're working on an english sign-up as we speak!

    i agree with what you say that its good to have a sparring partner, especially once the initial work has been done and the long hard road to a shooting draft needs to be travelled, but it is a lot easier when a writer has a distinct idea about what they want to say and do. that way there is something concrete to work with.

    however, as you point out, it is important that everyone plays as a team, and the ability to open up to advice and feedback is essential, but it is only when a writer has a vision that they can sort through all the feedback and find the good stuff - the stuff that will help make the story better.

    if you take too little feedback it narrows your potential for growth and if you take too much it can damage what you want to do.

    that is why i ask questions and don't 'tell' a writer what to do. that way the writer keeps their vision, but has someone that will help them expand their options.

    working with you on 'Rundskop' was an enjoyable and challenging experience, and as you were my first writer-director it was a great learning curve for me.

    i wish you all the best with finishing your post production and hope that come next february you have a big hit on your hands - you deserve it!

    Happy writing

    phil

    SvarSlet
  3. Phil,

    I loved your blog on the invisible influence of script consultants/story editors. As a screenwriter and a playwright who has worked with number of story editors, I wholeheartedly agree that the best ones are seemingly invisible to the outside world, but not of course to the writer's world. Having worked with you on a couple of projects, I am a huge fan of your approach and put you at the top of the bell curve. You lead me to a better understanding of the story that lies organically beneath, and suggest reference points (sometimes in the form of existing movies) for how I might mine the depths of this story. Inevitably, my story is strengthened because of your involvement. Yet, I can still walk away from the collaborative process feeling that the "ownership" of my story is intact and its integrity has not been compromised. Ego and art and business and artists can be a bitter cocktail, if the ingredients are not mixed correctly. I'd drink another cocktail with my favourite story editor, you Phil Rutter, any day.

    Barbara Kelly

    SvarSlet
  4. hi barbara

    thanks for the kind words and the invitation to more cocktails!!

    your response is, for me, the ideal one in the way i approach working with a writer.

    in a business that has always, but now more than ever, relegated the work of the writer to that of a necessary evil, it is so important that those that are able to can re-establish the writer as the primary force in the success of a film.

    i'm just trying to do my little bit in that regard and hopefully that works for the writers i have the pleasure of working with.

    happy writing

    phil

    SvarSlet